PILGRIMAGE OF TSADIKIM: FROM MOUNT MERON TO TIBERIAS VIA TSFAT
About The Attraction
The Talmud teaches us that "even after death, tzaddikim are considered alive."
Some religious groups have the custom of making a pilgrimage to the tombs of the Righteous of Israel.
Most of these righteous are buried in the north of the country, in the region of Galilee. Come light a candle on the tomb of these tzadikim and perpetuate their teachings.
1st stop: Tombs of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yohai and Rabbi Elazar Bar Shimon on Mount Meron
Who has not heard of Shimon Bar Yaohai’s Hillulah - anniversary of death - on Lag Baomer? This celebration is renowned for the huge bonfires and gatherings on the tombs of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yohai and his son Eleazar.
But who were these great sages, considered as heroes of Rabbinic Judaism?
The story of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yohai plunges us back to the time when the Hebrew State lived under Roman rule, a few years after the destruction of the Second Temple.
According to tradition, Rabbi Shimon publicly opposed the Roman decree forbidding the study of the Torah. Sentenced to death, he exiles himself with his son to a cave for 13 years. From this exile emerges the composition of the Zohar, one of the major works of Kabbalah!
2nd stop: Tsfat Old Cemetery - Safed
Tsfat, or the "Kabbalists’ Blue City" is one of the four Jewish holy cities. Having become the refuge of many scholars after the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492, the city became one of the main centers of what is called the Kabbalah.
Stroll through the alleys of this city of Sages and come immerse yourself in its spirituality and its bluish atmosphere. The visit continues with the old cemetery, the cornerstone of the history of the Jewish people in exile. At the heart of this cemetery are the tombs of the Arizal, his pupil Rabbi Joseph Caro, and Rabbi Pinhas Ben Yair (Rabbi Shimon bar Yohai’s father-in-law).
3rd stop: Tomb of Rabbi Akiva in Tiberias
Who still needs to introduce Rabbi Akiva? If I say to you "Love your neighbor as yourself" ...
Another righteous of Israel who fought against the Roman regime in the land of Israel to encourage the fulfillment of the precepts of Judaism. He is condemned to being burned at the stake and legend has it that he died while saying “Shema Israel”.
4th stop: Tomb of Rabbi Meir Baal Haness in Tiberias
Rabbi Baal Haness or the miracle worker ... this great tzadik saved his sister-in-law who was captured by the Romans. He bribed one of the guards and told him that to be safe from danger he would just have to say "Gd of Meir, answer me": when the emperor commanded he be hanged, he used Rabbi Meir's sentence and the rope broke several times until the executioners gave up on hanging him. It is customary to go to Rabbi Meir’s grave to donate Tzedakah. This student of Rabbi Akiva is known for his power to solve any trouble or need.
From Jerusalem or Tel Aviv, embark for a day on the trail of these wise men who guided the Jewish people!
Choose the day of your visit according to the language proposed:
English tour: Thursday
French tour: Sunday
- Enjoy the services of a private guide, certified by the Israel Tourist Authority, in the language of your choice
- A guided tour of the Tomb of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yohai and Rabbi Eleazar Bar Shimon
- A guided tour of Tsfat and the old city cemetery
- A guided tour of the Tomb of Rabbi Akiva
- A guided tour of the Tomb of Rabbi Meir Baal Haness
- Transportation on an air-conditioned bus from Jerusalem or Tel Aviv
If your activity do not require a minimum of participants, you will be charged immediately following your reservation.
Any partial or total cancellation by the customer must be reported no later than 96 hours before the start of the service, otherwise the customer will have to pay the full amount due. Contact us via e-mail at [email protected]
Any partial or total cancellation by the customer due to force majeure will result in the reimbursement of the deposit and no charges for the service. The client must then provide ISRADREAMS with proof (medical certificate or official document).
ISRADREAMS may decide at their sole discretion to cancel a service due to weather or safety hazard, in order to protect the safety and security of the group. This decision cannot be challenged.
An outing may only be canceled due to weather conditions or safety concerns if they constitute a risk from the performance of the activity.
In any case of cancellation decided by ISRADREAMS, any monies already paid will be fully refunded to the customer.
Attractions in the area
- Whether you are practicing or not, book your visit of the Righteous of Israel in Galilee! Visits are open to all publics.
- Note that some sites are not accesible with a stroller.
- Come with a suitable outfit for a visit to holy places: covered shoulders and no clothes too short.
- Bring a bottle of water, a hat, hiking shoes and a backpack, and get ready for a unique experience! Also think about providing a small snack for lunch.
- Please arrive a few minutes before the start of your tour so as not miss any part of this unique adventure.
- The tour is not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
- If you are with a group of friends and want to enjoy this activity together, just let us know!
- We advise you to give a tip to your guide at the end of the visit.
- The program is provided on an indicative basis and may be subject to change due to weather or safety hazards.
People are saying
Other Attractions in the area
Select a preferred time:
Your Order Request
We received your request to join “PILGRIMAGE OF TSADIKIM: FROM MOUNT MERON TO TIBERIAS VIA TSFAT”. This trip requires a min of 15 participants.
If your activity requires a minimum of more than one person, do not hesitate to tell your friends to join you in this adventure.
As soon as the minimum number of registrants is reached, you will receive an email to give you the details of your reservation.
Your credit card will only be debited after receipt of the confirmation email.